Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Saturday Drop Party

Okay, I'm going to try to drop the engine this Saturday, so hopefully I will have a nice post up Saturday evening describing a successful, minimally eventful drop. For the most part, I plan to follow the Pelican Parts how-to for dropping the engine. They include a 3 page checklist and claim it can be done by someone who knows what he is doing in 2 hours. Therefore, I will double that and shoot for 4 hours. The Haynes Manual also has a description, but it wasn't spelled out as well. However, I will need that manual to help locate the many parts that need to be dismantled (most of which I've never heard of before).
I've been out shopping for the necessary supplies and I'm starting to feel like a real car guy when I walk into these auto parts stores. I also got some nice new wrenches and screwdrivers at Sears. Man, there is just something about those "Craftsman" tools. I love the feel of them. I consider them a separate indulgence, so I won't include their cost in my conversion total. I will need to buy a couple of hydraulic jacks, though. The prices seem to range randomly from $20 to $200, so I'm learning a lot about jacks this week.
Charlie will be coming down to help out again. I believe he is still eyeing the Karmann Ghia for his conversion, and helping with mine will give him a good start. I think that the Porsche 914 and the Karmann Ghia have somewhat similar Volkswagen engines to contend with. Of course, I will need to return the favor when he gets started.
I already have one person expressing some interest in the dropped engine. He is planning to make a dune buggy and thinks it might work for him. If not, I'll sell it on Craig's List, call a salvage yard or get a hold of 1 800 GOT JUNK (in that order).
Another friend, Brent, says he might drop by with a friend on Saturday. I don't know that he is interested in an EV conversion so much as coming for the possible spectacle of this undertaking. Maybe we'll make it a little party. Perhaps pulling out the combustion engine should serve as a rite of passage - all are invited...

No comments: