Description: Removing the two seats and the vinyl backing and center cushion behind the seats.
Estimated Time: 30 minutes
Tools needed: One phillips head screwdriver
Caveats: None to mention
Okay, this was an easy one. No tool is even needed to to remove the seats. They come right off the rails. I started with the passenger seat. Just pull up on the loop that adjusts the seat forward and back. At first I couldn't get the seat all the way off. There is one little trick for which I consulted the 914 Club website. The Seat has a release for the rail nearest the door. If you pull the seat almost as far forward as you can (leaving maybe a half inch), you can feel the rail release on the seat preventing it from coming all the way off the front. Just reach in from the front and depress that rail release and the seat will come off.
This is a close-up of the rail release.
Here is the full bottom of the seat. Note the loop to adjust the seat on the front of one track and the rail release on the other track. The same technique can be used for the driver's side seat. In my case, it was a little sticky and I ended up using a pick ax handle as a lever to help me push it forward. I will take the advice on the 914 Club site and grease the rails before I put the seats back on (if I remember).
To remove the backing behind the seats (which is necessary for drilling on the controller and pot box, you simply unscrew the 4 bigger screws and 2 small ones in the center. They are all near the bottom. Up top it fits into a couple of connections, so once you have pulled out all the screws, pull down on it and this will almost remove it completely (it is all a single piece):
I say almost because the little latch for the engine compartment release prevents it from coming off completely. Rather than mess with that, I've decided to leave it as is. I'm pretty sure I can access that area by just pulling it back when needed and I'm running out of space in my garage for all this stuff.
Anyway, here is the car without the seats (ignore the sledgehammer).
I finished this quickly enough that I also decided to do a side project: a quick and dirty dashboard repair job. The glue is drying, but I'll post that up tomorrow. I am going to label my side projects not related to the EV conversion as "side project."